Thursday, September 6, 2012

Shout out to blog followers

Hi blog followers!

According to my records I've got 3 blog followers and I'd like to make a shout out to you all. Thank you all for supporting my blog and coming to read it from time to time.

I'd just like to write something nice about y'all and perhaps get you all networked too just in case anybody wanted to talk.



1. "Pro una fides" who's blog is: http://prounafides.blogspot.com/

From my correspondences with the young man who is running this blog, he is well-meaning and has good intentions. His blog is an apologetics blog, which means he has probably got a lot of energy. I used to be in Catholic apologetics at one time but grew tired from it because it was sapping my relationship with others and with God. Many blessings to you sir for taking up a much needed and tiring job.

2. "Jes" who's blog is: http://dayb4august.blogspot.com/

Me and "Jes" are personal friends and his blog is simply a personal blog and journal of sorts. He's taking it easy and I admire his efforts to try and write his thoughts down. I wish I had the fortitude to write reflections about my day constantly. Even when I spend hours alone with my thoughts the next day I wish I had better access to them. I've a memory that I wish was much better.

3. Simparanecromenus who's blog is: http://pravoslavnikatolik.blogspot.com/

I do not know Simparanecromenus as well as the other two, but joyfully his blog's name is Orthodox Catholic and it seems also to be a blog devoted to showcasing the writings of St. Augustine. I think his blog is probably far superior to my own in terms of beauty though it seems he doesn't have that many posts out yet. If I knew Serbian better I might spend more time on it. I did see once, his comment on another blog discussing talks about unity between the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches regarding the person and natures of Jesus. He is certainly a knowledgeable person I can tell. Perhaps one day we'll get to all talk a bit.


Moreover, I'd like to ask my 3 blog followers what they're interested in reading about from my blog. I've got a full plate on my hands this coming Fall quarter at college so I might not be able to post as much. Please let me know if there's something you'd love to hear or read about in the coming days, whether it be Augustinian or not.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Stephen,

    I'm also following your blog per the recommendation of James Broberg, but I use Google reader to follow.

    As far as blogs in the future, I would love to read some of your thoughts on:

    Augustine's City of God vis-a-vis Church and State relations, with special reference to the LACK of such a theology in the East and its consequences.

    Augustine's City of God vis-a-vis Just War and with this an analysis of the noble effort of the Crusades, but its failure apropos the Roman Empire of the East.

    Augustine's Trinitarian theology in De Trinitate in terms of his basic principles (hypostasis, ousia) if these are the same/different as Ambrose and Hilary's samely named Treatises, with reference to the Cappdocian terminology adopted in the East.

    The reception of Augustine's contra Pelagian terminology vis-a-vis free will controversies in the 8th (?) century, into the splintering of Christ's Body in the 16th. (Especially as regards the reception too, of St. John Cassian, and why he receives almost no veneration in the West but not so in the East).

    Anyways, just a few things I'm interested in but haven't had time to research yet!

    in Christ our Lord,

    Timothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tim!

      Ok, I will definitely try and put out some work on these topics, God willing to help me. I have not yet read City of God or De Trinitate, though I have the latter book in an English translation. I am currently working on writing a few articles on St. Augustine's speech on the Creed from when he was a priest. It offers an interesting insight into his early Trinitarian theology.

      Hopefully that will be out soon. Unfortunately since I am an extreme novice in matters of the Trinity, I will not likely be able to help that much with respect to the Eastern Fathers unless I read them.

      Time will tell.

      As for St. Augustine's anti-Pelagian work, I can try and take a look into that more readily. As far as I know, the 16th century represents an uproar in the study of St. Augustine and new texts were being resurfaced. Unfortunately, many were reading only his anti-Pelagian works which doesn't give a balanced reading of St. Augustine (I don't think). I can hopefully explain more on this later.

      St. John Cassian's work is mostly carried in the West through the Benedictines and through the other monastic orders that surfaced later in the West. His Institutes and Conferences were very widely read for centuries and centuries. I am not sure how his veneration fares in general in the West.

      God bless,

      Steven Reyes

      Delete